NYC Parks design is final and has been approved by DEC.
Now beginning in June they will start the actual construction which will take 18 months, completed around fall 2012
Currently there is about 150K cubic yards of sand, which is stockpiled in three locations at the top of the island. Once the contractor spreads the sand around and installs the shoreline elements, the island will be substantially stabilized from its current condition. No new sand is needed for the island. However, they will bringing in additional sand to stabilize the shore.
Parks will also be removing:
- The horizontal hazards from the old bridge to the island
- Any large debris such as boat shells and boat engines
The goal of the White island project is to create a grassland habitat for about 4 or 5 species of birds that were forced out with the Erksine Street Shopping Center. It was part of the agreement back in 1994 that another habitat would be created on White Island so the birds that were displaced would be able to nest somewhere. $3 million dollars was allocated for White Island according to that plan. Overall ,this is a $15 million dollar project.
Here is what has already happened :
- They have already removed the phragmites above the 10 foot contour of the island.
- They have clearing of the island of all trees, which was for an accurate survey, as well as to make room for the sand they brought in.
- They have brought in 150,000 cubic yards of sand, which is waiting to be spread out onto the island.
- The sand was placed into containment zones, and not dumped too high so the wind would not blow the sand into the creek.
- The footprint of the island has not been increased.