[Photo courtesy of Nathan Kensinger Photography]
Dead Horse Bay lies at the southern edge of Brooklyn. Once a marsh, this area was slowly filled with rubbish. Its name comes from the carcasses from a nearby horse rendering plant that would wash up on its shore. The landfill was capped after the refuse of the 1920′s and 1930′s filled the marsh. In the 1950′s the cap burst, spewing the artifacts of a different era onto the beach. Now glass bottles, shoe leather, plastic toys, old bones and handguns lie revealed along the waters edge.